Recipe Appropriation: Banana Split Ice Box Cake
Today I come to you with a recipe a friend sent to me. Simply stated, it is a somewhat healthy summer dessert. The recipe really stood out to me because the majority of the fluffy cream is made from Greek yogurt. And, of course, I have a serious love for graham crackers, which acts as the "cake" layers. I definitely recommend this cold creation for any summer festivities. Not only is it not too sweet, but it's visually pleasing!
Onto the good stuff...
Banana Split Ice Box Cake
What you'll need:
- 3 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 4 bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice ( to bathe the bananas and stop the browning)
- 20 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (about 7 medium strawberries)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (if you wish)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (if you wish)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coconut oil
- In a large bowl mix: Greek yogurt, agave nectar, vanilla
- In a medium bowl use a hand mixer to whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form (a couple minutes on a medium/high setting)
- Gently fold the yogurt mixture and whipped cream until just combined
- Slice bananas and toss in some lemon juice
- Use a platter or dish roughly 9x13, put a small amount of the cream mixture on the bottom of the dish ( so the graham crackers will stay in place)
- Lay 5 graham crackers side by side
- Spread 1 cup of cream mixture on top of the crackers, making sure to cover the cracks
- Layer some bananas, strawberries and blueberries
- Repeat steps 6-8 2 more times
- Create another layer of graham crackers
- Use remaining cream mixture and berries & bananas
- In a small saucepan melt chocolate chips with coconut oil over low heat & drizzle over cake
- Add some crushed walnuts
Allow for the cake to sit in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Take the cake out 45 minutes before eating to allow for some thawing.
Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Check out the original recipe